About

The Friends of Norfolk Heritage Park (FONHP) was formed in the early 1990’s at a time when all parks were in decline. Over the years FONHP has worked with the local council and community to maintain and develop this Green Flag award-winning park with its Grade II* listing.


Landscape character

The overall landscape character of Norfolk Heritage Park is that of a traditional country estate, consisting of extensive rolling grassland with structural tree planting to frame vistas.

The general layout of the park was based around a circular 4m wide carriageway linked to the main entrances by tree-lined avenues. The avenue to Granville Road is of turkey oaks and the avenue to Norfolk Park Road is of lime trees.

Jervis Lum is the park’s area of woodland which has a stream running through it. This area is ancient woodland and it includes plant species such as wild garlic, wood sorrel, yellow archangel, wood melick and bluebells. It has a wide range of birds including great spotted woodpeckers.

National significance

The original park boundary is listed as Grade II* on English Heritage’s Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest. The park contains 5 Grade ll listed buildings / structures of architectural or historical interest.


History

1848
Norfolk Park opened free to the public.

1876
Stone screen and entrance gates at Granville Road erected.

Image of royal visit 1897

1897
Queen Victoria visited the park in her Jubilee year where she heard 50,000 schoolchildren sing in her honour. The 15th Duke of Norfolk was also the Lord Mayor during this year.

1904
Ornamental iron lamp moved to Granville Road entrance.


Image of Duke of Norfolk 1910

1910
Norfolk Park was given as a gift from the Duke of Norfolk to the City of Sheffield and a new refreshment pavilion was opened – built to commemorate the gift of the park to the City of Sheffield.

1912 to 1954
Bowling greens and tennis courts constructed in the park.

1950
Construction of the children’s playground.

1956
Jervis Lum woodland acquired by compulsory purchase from the Duke of Norfolk and added to the park.

1959
A flat public events area and football pitches was created by tippings from slum clearance.

1980s
The park entered a period of decline.

1994
Norfolk Park added to the English Heritage Register of Historic Parks and Gardens (Grade II*).

1994
The ‘Friends of Norfolk Park’ group established. Norfolk Park becomes more commonly known as Norfolk Heritage Park reflecting its heritage and cultural significance.

1995
Derelict cafe (refreshment pavilion) in the park seriously damaged in an arson attack and subsequently demolished.

1996
Successful Heritage Lottery Fund bid submitted to restore the park.

1998
Physical restoration work starts in the park.

2000
New playgrounds opened (May). The Centre in the Park is opened to the public (November).

2004
New sports pavilion opened (October).

2005
Park achieves its first national parks quality standard management Green Flag Award.

2010
New Sports Pitches are completed to the north of the park, including work on drainage and installation of irrigation.

2018
Refurbishment of junior and toddler play areas to create new Woodland Play Area and Family Picnic and Play Area.


Nearby

Cholera Monument Grounds & Clay Wood

Image of Cholera Monument

The Asiatic Cholera Epidemic came to Sheffield in 1832. Total death toll was 402. Initially victims were buried in churchyards around Sheffield, but because of limited space  and public unease about living near a burial site, an alternative had to be found. The 12th Duke of Norfolk offered this site as a burial site. 339 victims were buried hastily and without ceremony in these grounds. The Cholera Monument was created in memory of those who were buried here.

The path past the monument goes through Clay Wood, which covers an area of 4.5 Acres and is a dedicated site of special interest. The wood now includes a variety of trees including ash, oak, holly, hawthorn, hazel, elm and sycamore. It is a great place to see a range of different birds and is usually filled with the sounds of bird song.

Sheaf Valley Park

Sheaf Valley Park alongside Park Hill Flats includes South Street Park amphitheatre, hosts a wide range of events, theatre, music and community events.

Friends of Sheaf Valley Park

Volunteer community group covering South Street Park amphitheatre, Cholera Monument Grounds, Park Hill & Skye Edge.

Website: fosvp.org.uk
Facebook: www.facebook.com/FOSVP
Twitter: @fosvpsheffield


Manor Fields Park

Manor Fields Park is a surviving fragment of the Great Sheffield Deer Park that covered a large area to the south of Sheffield and centred on a hunting lodge at nearby Sheffield Manor Lodge. The park is now managed to support nature as well as providing a recreational area for people, with a range of habitats and wild flower planting.

Friends of Manor Fields Park

Website: manorfieldspark.org
Facebook: www.facebook.com/manorfieldspark
Twitter: @ManorFieldsPark


Sheffield Manor Lodge

A unique heritage attraction with Tudor ruins, Farm, 1940s cottage, Rhubarb Shed café, Bramall Court and Artists’ Studios all set in urban meadows.

Website: sheffieldmanorlodge.org
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ManorLodge
Twitter: @SheffManorLodge